Our hummingbirds are "desert" hummingbirds. They have slightly irridescent feathers on their backs, but other than that they are mostly brown.
Lindsey and Alan couldn't get enough. They were fascinated with how tiny it was, it's long beak, everything about it.
Robert tried to put it on a tree branch, and it decided to try flying. It flew just far enough to land on my back, and then Robert had trouble getting it off. Evidently, hummingbirds have tiny little claws that cling very nicely!
We finally convinced the bird to perch on a branch, and after an hour or so it flew away. We think it must have gotten wet in the sprinklers and been unable to fly until it's wings dried. We also think it was a baby hummingbird because two larger birds kept hovering around it until it could fly. All in all, it was a fantastic adventure for the kids, and for us.
3 comments:
Holy cow that is way too cool! I've never seen a wild bird react like that. Way fun.
The humming bird and the song bird! I think there's a love story somewhere in that.
Loved Karen's comment! And that is amazing!!! I now understand why Lindsey was so excited to call and tell us about the hummingbird. And...I've heard about riding piggy back...but hummingbird back? Crazy!
Post a Comment