Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Better all-at-once than never!

I am fully prepared to admit to being the world's worst blogger, which is unfortunate since I love very far away from everyone who loves my family! However, instead of beating myself up for being less consistent and clever than April, and less funny and keen than Heather, I am determined to live by my life's new motto. It may sound familiar to many of you, but I am making a concerted effort to actually live by it. "Do your best and leave the rest to God." I have spent most of my life wishing I were more amazing like everyone else, regretting the things I was not good at, longing to be "as good as. . ." Well, thanks to my wonderful husband and a talk by Elder Neal A. Maxwell entitled "Meekness—A Dimension of True Discipleship" - Ensign Mar. 1983, (I don't know how to put a link in, but if you care to cut and paste it, here is the link http://www.lds.org/ensign/1983/03/meekness-a-dimension-of-true-discipleship?lang=eng ) I have turned a new leaf. I have come to realize that I can always be better than I was today, and that that will always be true. Beating myself up for my weaknesses does not make me better, and more importantly, it does not allow me to recognize how much the Savior has already helped me be better. I can take no credit for those things I do well; every talent I have has been given me by a loving Heavenly Father. But I also have come to realize that (as Ether 12:24 states so beautifully) in recognizing my weaknesses, I recognize how much I need a Savior, and I turn to Him even more. I don't think I am capable of explaining exactly what I mean--it has been too gradual and subtle a change--but I am happier than I have ever been, even while I am most aware of my faults, because I know that because of Jesus Christ I can try harder and be better tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after, into eternity. I don't have to be perfect at everything right now, and I can admire all of you for your amazing strengths, and love myself at the same time. I wish I could translate all the thoughts and feelings I have more clearly into writing, in the hopes that someone else who struggles with comparisons and guilt can learn what I have learned. All I can suggest is that you take the chance to read and study Elder Maxwell's talk and the scriptures that go with it. The point of this whole tangent was originally to say that I recognize I am not a great or prompt blogger, but I have posted some catch up pictures in an effort to give you a small picture of what has been going on with us recently. I love you all!! Enjoy the deluge!!

5 comments:

Julie Barnes said...

You are just the cutest! I love it!! Your house is beautiful and your family has done some great work! Sure do miss you!

Carla and crew said...

I'm so glad when you do blog because it reminds me of your sweet spirit! I love what you have done to they house-what a transformation!!! But I especially love seeing your beautiful children and how they are growing! Thanks for the reminder to be the best we can be, too.

David & Brenda said...

What an absolute feast!! And it's great seeing the 'after' pictures of the house. Amazing! I love how much brighter it is than when we were there. It doesn't look like the same place. Thank you for all of the photos!

Linda Westover said...

Trina, it's a shame that you don't realize how many people think you are the one who is amazing! We women seem to be so good a comparing our "worst" with someone else's "best", and of course we always come up with the short end of the stick that way. You've learned an important lesson. thanks for reminding us all what is really important.

Hohmann Family said...

I think that's why we were always such good friends - neither one of us was truly masterful. But together we sure made a great team! Jack of all trades, master of none! You have many strengths among which is being mother, wife, re-homemaker, and the ability to look inward and upward at the same time. Love ya!